Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Deactivating Facebook

This last Sunday morning was one like most of my mornings. Wake up, brew coffee, make breakfast, turn on laptop, and log in to Facebook. I get sucked into that world for about an hour before I get up and do something else.

A little later that morning I was messing around with Dailyn. Tickling, giggling, and snuggling. I had a moment of I don't ever want her to grow up, I wish I could pause life. I was just staring at her, taking in her beauty and sweet character. I realized then that I need more of these moments. They happen often, but not often enough.

Then I kicked myself. I have all the time in the world to spend with my kids since I'm a stay at home mom. What holds me back from having more of those moments?

Facebook.

Any free moment I had, I was clicking refresh on the News Feed. I didn't want to miss anything. I was addicted to keeping up with everyone else's drama filled lives instead of living my own to the fullest.

I knew what I should do and I needed to do it then while my mind was thinking clearly.

I told Dailyn I'd be right back and then I ran to my computer. I read through the Help section on deleting and deactivating my account. I didn't want to delete it because I didn't want to lose my pictures and everything. It said if you deactivate, then you can get back on at anytime and everything will be right where you left it. Exactly what I was looking for. I need a break, a vacation, from Facebook for awhile. At least until I learned that I don't need to know what everyone is doing at every moment...

A little bit of anxiety rushed through me. Don't take that wrong... I get anxiety all the time. I'll admit that I'm addicted to Facebook, but not like one is with crack or something. I'll be fine, but doubt came over me if I could really do it. If I really wanted to disconnect from everyone. Dailyn and Deagen came to mind and I thought, Yes, I really need to do this. 

I clicked on Deactivate Account. 20 seconds later, I was logged out and blacked out from all my Facebook friends. I sat back in my chair and took a deep breath. My first thought was, I'm free.

I went back to Dailyn and just snuggled. Deagen took a break from playing a game with his daddy for a minute and snuggled too. Reassuring that I did do the right thing. I felt so happy and really good.

The rest of the day went by sooooo slow. I realized how much being on Facebook had made the time just fly by. I felt so relaxed and less tense. I was barely on the computer for the whole day... there's not much to do on it without Facebook. Ha! 

At one point of the day I had left the house. As I was driving through the neighborhood I thought, no one knows where I am or where I'm going. I feel like a rebel almost. I feel so free! There was another time during the day where I took a pic Deagen using the camera on my phone (out of habit) with the idea in mind that I'll upload it to Facebook. Well, can't do that! It was very bizarre being disconnected!

Overall, Day 1 was a success. I felt so free and less stressed. Why didn't I do this a long time ago??


Monday morning, Day 2, was much more leisurely than my normal mornings. I didn't feel rushed to make my coffee and breakfast so I could get on Facebook sooner.

I'm definitely less distracted. I get things done all at once with no Facebook interruptions. Usually I'd get a Facebook notification on my phone or I'd just have that urge to check the News Feed just one more time while I was in the middle of doing something else around the house. Getting things done faster is giving me so much more free time! Ha! Duh Shan! SMH

So far the rest of the week is going by pretty well. I'm not missing Facebook as much as I thought I would! I think by the end of my break I'll be less of an addict... Haha!! ;)


This Pour Your Heart Out post is linked up at Things I Can't Say.

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

Oh yes! FB can be very addicting! Good for you! Time is too precious. Your little girl is super duper cute!
Stopped by from PYHO. :)

From Tracie said...

Those facebook notifications pull me in every time!!

I could stand having a few days of being disconnected to remind me of what life was before facebook.

Helene said...

I know what you mean. All these social networking sites can pull you in and hold you hostage!

Good for you on taking a break and focusing on what you find most important in you life! You go, girl!

Stopping by from Shell's!

Samantha said...

I've thought about deactivating my account at different times, just because inevitably, about three or four times a year...someone gets offended by something I put on FB and declare war. It's ridiculous, mainly because whatever I said or did, shouldn't have been offensive. I really enjoy keeping up with my family though, and so I went through and deleted everyone that I didn't know or come in contact with on a weekly basis. So far, so good. I enjoy just seeing whats up with the people I do know, instead of the people I hardly know. Still, somedays, I think it would be nice to be on a FB break.

Roxanne said...

Good for you. I've thought about doing a social media hiatus, like a week or something to just kind of chill out.

Jennie said...

Way to go! I wish I had your diligence. It's a good lesson for a lot of us SAHMs.

Stopping by from TICS!

Working Mommy said...

Good for you Shandal!!! I need to do that with my FB too...it just takes up so much of time some days that it really is nuts. I think I might follow along in your example!!

WM

Loren said...

EMB, you should have grown up when your uncle did :). We still had B&W TV. The phone numbers were still in letters and the phones were rotary dial. We had walkie talkies. And the internet didn't exist. We wrote letters and mailed them; talked on orange juice cans connected with string and if we wanted to know what our friends were doing; we called them but if they were on the phone, we got a busy signal until later when call waiting came around and by then, I was teenager!

Big D and Me said...

I've never had a facebook account for that reason - also I guess I figured, I didn't keep up with you before, why do I want to now? Good for you. I sort of did the same thing this week and wrote about it on Monday. Spending more time with the kiddos. I'm glad I read this. Good luck keeping it up.

Shell said...

I have backed off of facebook a lot in the past year.

Blogs though... oh, how I get sucked in! ;)

FamilyFoodFitnessandFun said...

Love this post Shan! I know what you mean....after feeding the kids breakfast, the first thing I do is check Facebook. It's terrible how much I am on the computer. I'm realizing it's too much, and I NEED to pull away and spend more time with my precious kids.
It's the blogs that get me though. My Google Reader is always so full and I feel overwhelmed sometimes. I really need to let it go!

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

Very interesting...I should probably do this, but it seriously is one of the only way I stay in touch with my friends and family (as I loathe the phone). Hmmm...what to do...what to do...

19fairydust78 said...

I do this too!!! I totally get it, well said!!!!

Cheeky Quotes